Hello my lovelies, it's been 4 days since my arrival back home in Germany. I arrived on March, 17 and my family and my friends were waiting for me at Düsseldorf airport with flowers and presents, haha! Such a warm welcome. I also want to thank you for your comments all those last posts, I still didn't respond to them, but I read everything. Thank you so much, your support in this time means a lot to me.
The last couple of days I just did nothing. I usually hang round at home, but yesterday and the following days I 'll meet my friends and we just spend a nice time chatting, the usual stuff. It feels good to do some normal things :-) The good thing about that whole catastrophe is: you get to realize who your real friends are, who really care where you are and what you do. I'm really glad I have such friends. Having experienced the same thing, it's really bonding.
Well, now I'm in the mood to retell you my experience which happend ever since March 11, 14:46 local time in Tokyo. It's been 11 days, but my memories are still so fresh, so I had better write everything down XD
Thursday, March 10: I picked up my friend Lara from Narita airport in the morning, she was supposed to start her one year exchange programme at a university in Yokohama on March 14, and she wanted to spend her very first days in Japan with me and my roommate Charlotte. I even took 5 days holiday from work and told my boss my very good friend is coming to Japan.
At Narita Airport March 10
After picking her up we went to my apartment, put down her stuff and went to stroll aound in Ikebukuro, where we had some donuts at Mr. Donuts and some purikura in Club Sega. It was a calm and normal day, like every other day.
Friday, March 11 (yeah, that day that turned my perfect life in Tokyo upside down...): We woke up at around 11 am, took showers, dressed up and thought about where to have lunch. Since Charlotte and me love TGI Fridays so much we decided to go there. We are frequent customers there, and it is just around the corner where we live. We had a lovely lunch and just finished at about 14:30, and a few minutes later the buliding began to shake. At first I thought I was just feeling dizzy, but as the shaking didn't stop, no instead it became more worse and it was quite long, the waiter screamed: Everyone get out of the building! I snatched my bag and jacket and we ran out as fast as we could, while the stairs were shaking and shaking. Luckily we were only on the second floor. We had to wait outside sometime, and were let inside again for a short time until it began to shake again...
TGI staff handing out blankets and trying to calm down customers
The building next to TGI and pople standing outside
Lara, me and Charlotte while waiting outside. Everything was still fine at this point. We didn't know anything about the Tsunami or the nuclear plant until the early evening.
Well, we had to leave the building again and mailed to our families with our phones at home who were surely watching the morning news to let them know we were safe and nothing happened to us. Then we left TGI and decided to head home. Our apartment was still fine, just some items were lying on the floor and the drawers were not in the cupboard anymore, but everything else was okay. No broken cups and stuff XD Then we headed outside again, but most cafes and supermarkets were closed, and even trains stopped running. Thank God I didn't have to work that day, I surely would have stranded in Juban and wouldn't make it home. Charlotte's friend Ashley stranded in Ikebukuro and we let her stay in our apartment that night. The lines for taxis and busses was increadibly long as you can imagine. We had aftershocks the whole night, but I nevertheless slept quite well.
Empty shelves in our local combini
Saturday, March 12: We met a friend in Ebisu in the afternoon, when Charlotte received a mail from her mum that the nuclear power plant in Fukushima exploded. But we sticked to our original plan to ipck up another friend in Juban, and went to Tullys where I work to have some coffee and to think about what to do. We decided to go to the German embassy and ask for advice, but the people there were not helpful at all, and we headed home again. After long Skype sessions with the families at home, Lara and Charlotte decided to leave Tokyo still that night. They packed their stuff and headed for Narita at around 9 pm. I stayed behind cause I didn't see the need to leave, and also I couldn't contact my family.
Sunday, March 13: I stayed at home all day, just left for 20 minutes to go to the supermarket, and skyped wit my family who told me to go. They rebooked my flight ticket back for Thursday, March 17.
Monday, March 14: I met up with Juliane, to go to the immigration office in Tokyo to get ourselves re-entry permits so that we could come back with the same Working Holiday Visa. It was full, I think over 700 people were waitng to get that stamp in their passports. We were finished in about three and a half hour, but we met some girls who were already waiting since 9 hours... So crazy... The rest of the day I spent chatting and skyping with friends.
Tuesday, March 15: My boss called me while I was on my way to Juban to explain myself and to spent he whole day there anyways. He worried about me XD So I was there in Tullys Juban until they closed to see my colleagues and my boss and to say goodbye at least temporarily. They understood I had to go as well as my two Korean colleagues who also left. I was really so sad I had to leave, more than I was afraid of radiation to be honest.
Wednesday, March 16: I bought a bus ticket to Narita in the morning and left for the airport a day before my flight. I spent 19 hours waitng, sleeping, eating and peoplewatching. It was so boring...
Thursday, March 17: My flight left Tokyo on time at 11 am local time, I arrived in London at 15, and almost missed my connecting flight to Düsseldorf. I had to ran through half Heathrow, hahaha!
Well, you know the rest of the story. I really hope the situation will calm down over there soon. I really miss my Tokyo and everything XD



35 Kommentare:
*hugs*
Samstag Nachmittag Zeit zufällig??
oh wie schön, dass es dir trotz allem gut geht! :3
vielleicht können wir uns am wochenende kurz treffen?^^
bald wirst du wieder zurückgehen können, ich glaube daran! :3
bin so froh, dass du auch gut angekommen bist!!!!
That week after the quake must be exhausting.. anyway it's good that you're doing well at home!
Was nice to read your story! :D
Im glad that you are safe and I hope you can return soon!
Ohje das klingt ja schrecklich! Da kommt deine Freundin 1 Tag vor der Katastrophe in Japan an und freut sich auf ein tolles neues Jahr und dann sowas! :(
Ich musste seit letzter Woche immer an dich denken, weil du doch meintest, dass du ab Donnerstag Abend wieder in Deutschland bist. Freut mich, dass du gut angekommen bist!!!
Wirst du zurück kehren?
Alles Liebe ♥
I did almost the same thing! I didn't want to leave but my family was really worried and bought me a plane ticket for the 17th so I could come home for a while. I want to go back soon but I feel bad leaving for Tokyo again before my parents (and me!) feel comfortable enough with the situation again ;________;
By the way, I live right by that TGI Friday's, too!!! Caroline and I go on Monday's when we can. XD When things calm down again we should have a meet-up or something! I feel bad because I've been reading your blog for a while but never commented. Sorry!
I love Ikebukuro and I miss it so much already. And that Friday's has really cute waiters! XDD
That is just so crazy... :( well I'm glad to hear your safe and home and you were greeted so warmly! keep us updated as time goes on! :) <3 I feel bad for your friend who just arrived for the year to stay and then had to leave.. such a shame! i hope that all works out for you!
It was nice of you to write out everything about the situation and your life recently. I hope everything will be fine for you and you can go back soon^^
oh great to hear you are well! You are really one tough girlie! :)) At least now you have some time to spend with your family :3 Japan will be back on its feet in no time!
you look so cutee :)
It must be really strange to leave tokyo that abrupt... the whole situation must be pretty awkward for you. I think it will need some time to clarify (if even possible) the radiation matter.. But I wish you can go back there as soon as possible! I miss Japan too.. (although I wasn't living there recently..) I really want to go back!
Kopf hoch!
byebye ねこちゃん
It's a good thing you left for your safety. I hope you can go back to Tokyo soon, though! Glad your safe and hope your friend, Lara and Charlotte are fine too!
I know you hated to leave, but I'm glad you're home. I guess from now on, historically speaking, my birthday will be only the 2nd biggest thing that happened on 3/11.
its good to hear ur okay and u seem really happy in the photos! wow they had blankets? that was so thoughtful of them. wow everythings sold out D: that must have been worrying.
Hey!! Meine Schwesti kommt am Sa aus England zurück, und ich treffe schon jemanden. Wie lange bist du denn in Düsseldorf? Am Montag hätte ich Zeit!
Ja, mir gehts ganz gut, es war ja nicht wirklich was in Tokyo passiert... aber trotzdem musste ich gehen. Ginge es nach mir, wäre ich noch da und bei ner Freundin im Süden. Naja, so ein kurzer Urlaub in der Heimat ist nicht so schlecht! XD Aber ich werd auf jeden Fall zurückgehen, daran glaube ich auch ganz fest.
Du aber auch, da bin ich unglaublich erleichtert! Hab schon von deinem TV-Auftritt gehört XD Hast du schon Pläne wie es nun weitergehen soll?
Yeah, it was, but I'm sure I'm gonna be back soon! XD
Thank you!! I really hope I can go back soon, too!
Ja, ich glaub das ist so mitunter der tragischste Fall in meinem Bekanntenkreis... aber hoffen wir ass wir bald wieder zurückgehen können. Ich will auf jeden Fall wieder zurück, hab noch soviel zu erledigen, haha
Hello!!! I know you through Caroline and what she wrote about you in her posts! Thank you for your comment, it's great to know that I wasn't the only one who wanted to stay but had to return because of family. I wanna go back asap, when the situation allows ;__; My Working Holiday Visa is valid until Nov, so I still have over half a year...
We really should meet up with Caroline when we are back! But I don't know if I'll still be living in Ikebukuro then... I'm so sure my roomate won't return, and I can't pay the rent alone for our apartment... but I LOVE Ikebukuro so much, it is my favourite place ever, hahaha.
That TGI was our favourite, too. We were regular customers, hahaha!
I really hope so too! I wanna go back asap! I will try to keep posting, but there is nothing to tell here from Germany, hahaha!
I really hope so, too, but we have a date for May, right?? XDDDD So I'll be there, and if it's the last thing I do, hahaha
Yeah, I'm really tough, lol. I wasn't afraid a single second, but had to leave because my family wanted it. I intended to stay and go to Shikoku to my very good friend... so at least I could've stayed in Japan. Anyways, I wanna go back asap XD
Oh... well, thank you a lot! I don't consider myself as that cute, though XD
I miss it so badly! You know my life was there... and then I return to Germany, and have nothing... well, I have my friends and my family here, of course, but no life. I wanna go back asap. I can understand that you miss being in Japan, too even though you were not living there. when I was a tourist before I also always wanted to go back XD
Me and Lara are totally fine, we are just super dissapointed and sad, but I'm not sure about Charlotte, she seems to be not so fine. Anyways, let's hope we can return asap! XD
Hahahaha, you always manage to get me smiling, Rick!!! Now I won't ever forget your birthday again, lol. I actually wanted to send you a birthday card from Tokyo and surprise you, but the stupid earthquake and it's consequences played bad on me, haha.
Whe I return (let's hope that it's soon) I'm gonna send you that birthday (or another) card!
Yeah, I'm fine! I just send off two letters to you, one was written in Tokyo, but I couldn't send it and one here. Hope you will receive it soon! XD
schön, dass du gesund bist und bei dir alles in ordnung ist :)
Ich bin wirklich froh, dass dir nichts passiert ist. Das ganze ansehen zu müssen, ist einfach nur schrecklich. Es wird ja auch gesagt, dass der ganze nördliche Teil von Japan für die nächsten Jahre völlig unbewohnbar sein wird, hat zumindest bbc gesagt. Seid ich in Schottland bin, kann ich nur noch bbc angucken. -.-
Vielen Dank für dein Kommentar! Ich liebe Schottland auch sehr! Ist eines meiner absoluten Leiblingsländer. ich mache hier ein Work and Travel, nur mache ich das so, dass ich hier in einer WG lebe und immer mal wieder für 1 oder 2 Tage in ne andere Stadt fahre, z.B. St. Andrews oder Dundee (mache ich hoffentlich noch diese Woche...). Aber ich würde hier auch gerne studieren. Geht es nur mir so, oder ist dir auch aufgefallen, wie freundlich die Menschen hier sind??? Wann warst du in Schottland? In welcher Stadt? hast du hier Urlaub gemacht? Ich finds wirklich toll, zu hören, dass noch jemand in Schottland war!
Liebe grüße aus Edinburgh!
Hallo, vielen Dank für deinen Kommentar!! Mir gehts soweit ganz gut!
Liane!!! Schön von dir zu hören!!! Ja, mir gehts gut soweit, ich bin natürlich super enttäuscht, dass ich mein Working Holiday vorerst abbrechen musste... sobald die Situation es zulässt bin ich wieder drüben! In Tokyo geht das ganz nornale Leben weiter, trotz der immer noch drohenden Gefahr.
Oh, du machst also auch Working Hloiday?? Cool, wie lange bleibst du denn in Scottland? Die Briten sind ja mal sowas von freundlich, davon könnten sich Deutsche mal ne Scheibe abschneiden XD In Japan sind die Leute auch unglaublich freundlich, jedenfalls die meisten die ich kenne und denen ich begegnet bin XD Ich war damals 1998 mit der Schulklasse nach Dumfries gefahren, dort habe ich eine Woche in ner Gastfamilie gelebt, wir haben Edinburg und Glasgow besucht :-) Ich denke gerne daran zurück, es hat soviel Spaß gemacht!
Wow what an extraordinary experience! Thank so much for sharing your story!
Kommentar veröffentlichen